Want to know how to assemble and operate your RYCO RY16 Crimper, the most versatile crimper on the market? Here, we provide a step-by-step guide to provide you with an effortless crimping experience.
STEP 1: Pre-Delivery Checklist
Checking the contents against a delivery checklist:
- Crimper wrapped (in plastic and packed in a suitable box for Air & Sea Freight)
- RY16 Crimper complete with Quick Release Coupling
- Tube of Grease
- Technical User Manual
- Die Box (including grease application brush)
STEP 2: Pre-Commencement Inspection
Complete the pre-commencement inspection checklist including the following:
- Insert the 9-volt battery into the battery holder.
- Push the red test button to check that the LED crimp light illuminates.
- Confirm that the serial number, crimp chart and safety decals are attached.
- Check the vernier crimp die rotates smoothly in both directions. If required, grease the cone shaped surfaces in the crimper cylinder.
- Check that all the dies are supplied and are appropriately numbered.
STEP 3: Connecting Hand Pump
- Pressurise the crimper and check for oil leaks.
- Prepare the supplied dies by fastening the locating lugs into the back of the dies.
STEP 4: Calculating Crimp Settings
Example: Setting a 23 mm crimp
With a 23mm die set loaded and the 0 on the vernier crimp dial aligned with the 0 on the shaft, the final crimp diameter would be 23mm.
Calculating Crimp Settings
Example: The T2040-0814 Coupling requires a 26mm Crimp
- Using either the RYCO Crimp Chart or RYCO Crimp app find the corresponding crimp dimension.
- Find 26mm on the chart and look to the left column for the recommended die set.
- In this instance, a 23mm die set is required. The chart also shows that 3 clockwise turns on the vernier are required.
Selecting the Correct Die Set
STEP 6: Inserting Die Sets
- Select the 23mm die set and install into crimper.
- Ensure that all dies are correctly installed.
- The die set size numbers should face the front.
Inserting Die Sets
STEP 6: Crimping the Hose
- With the vernier set to zero, rotate the dial clockwise 3 times.
- Close the valve on the pump.
- Carefully align the coupling and pressurise the RYCO hand pump.
- The set crimping diameter is reached when the red LED crimp light is illuminated.
- Using verniers, confirm the correct crimp diameter.
Using Verniers Confirming Correct Crimp Diameter
STEP 7: Air Bleeding the Hydraulic Hand Pump
- Connect the pump to the crimper.
- Ensure that the pump is higher than the crimper.
- Open the valve to allow air from the crimper to rise to the pump reservoir.
- Remove the threaded oil reservoir plug.
- If required, fill the oil reservoir up to just below the bottom of reservoir plug thread.
- Replace the oil reservoir plug.
- The pump is now ready to use.
Your hose is ready to go!
To learn more, watch our latest video on RY16 Crimper Assembly & Operation:
RY 16 Crimper Operation Manual is also available to download:
RYCO RY16 Operation Manual
Stay in the RYCO Know How
To learn more about RYCO products, news and events, sign up to our newsletter here.