Team Triton V8 SuperUtes race car driver – Craig Dontas shared his professional and personal story!
- Date of birth: 22/12/1979
- Place of birth:
- Lives: Adelaide, South Australia
- Status: Married
- Outside of racing: Sport, family, and fitness
- Engineer: Luke Sieders
After competing in superkarts and production cars in the late 1990s and early 2000s, I become a V8 Utes Series mainstay, scoring numerous races wins and podium finishes across 12 years.
In between I had appearances in Touring cars, Aussie Racing Cars, TransAm and the Stadium Trucks.
I am known as not only a handy steerer, but also one of the most commercially savvy operators out of the race car. I was head of commercial at the Clipsal Adelaide 500 and now head up Sponsorship at Supercars Australia.
Now as a part of the SuperUtes fraternity, I work hard behind the scenes, generating commercial support for the series and am there to help guide the series to future success and popularity.
With off-track work keeping me busy on most race weekends, I still can’t resist the opportunity to slot behind the wheel when there’s time. I have won race and scored a few pole positions in the diesel format of the SuperUtes, but the shift to the V8 Powered SuperUtes has got me very excited.
Inspirations & Passion – Q&A
- What inspired you to start driving?
As a child we my father was close friends with Peter Brock and a number of well-known drivers, I spent most weekend and holidays at the racetrack, so it was only natural that I wanted to race too.
- What does it mean to you to be a part of the Team Triton V8 SuperUtes racing team?
I am quite proud to be honest, it’s something we built from ground up. Whether I am driving or overseeing the next generation of drivers, it’s so great to have the support of RYCO 24.7 whilst doing what we love.
- After escaping a frightening moment at Mount Panorama, did it change you as a race car driver?
Not really, over the journey I have had a few big ones, it’s part of what we do. If anything, it makes you more determined to challenge yourself to go better.
- In your opinion, which qualities should a race car driver possess?
The ability to have fun, at time this is a high-pressure industry, the drivers who still manage to keep the fun in it tend to go well.
- How did victory in 2018 ECB SuperUtes Series Townsville motivate you?
Reward was the biggest motivator, it was a tough journey up until then, so it was a great relief and reward to get that result.
To check out Supercars latest calendar click here.
To follow Craig Dontas’ driving journey visit:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/craigdontasracing/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/craigdontas/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/CraigDontas
Stay Up To Date with the RYCO 24•7 Network
Join the RYCO 24•7 Team today, visit https://www.ryco247.com/ for more details.